14 December 2003

Beneficent Hunting

I received a nice e-mail message from a reader in Colorado. He asked a challenging question:
I read your post on guns and hunting. My question is, wouldn't it be acceptable, moral, and responsible to permit, and even encourage, hunting of game, if only to thin the herds? I'm not a hunter myself, but several friends and relatives are. Isn't it true that due to the lack of natural predators, deer populations (for example) have grown to levels that put domesticated animals at risk? Overgrazing is a serious problem sometimes, which is why the state of Colorado permits hunting for short periods at the Air Force Academy.
This is an issue that could bear discussion. I personally am ambivalent. Perhaps my fellow bloggers would like to comment. Readers, too, are welcome.